Choose high-quality, clinically valued anesthesia delivery and patient monitoring solutions
Visualize the enFlow System in the Hospital EnvironmentTake tour
enFlow interactive tour
enFlow® interactive tour
Maintain the right temperature—in the right place, at the right time
The enFlow® IV fluid/blood warming system is an innovative patient fluid warmer that helps maintain normothermia with accuracy, mobility and speed—wherever it is needed. This tour will show you how it provides early and continuous warming to maintain core temperatures across the perioperative care continuum.
The system's unique single-patient-use cartridge can be placed in-line before IV placement and likely without any change to your IV set. This easy access lets you get to work right away, maintaining warming from pre-op to the OR to post-procedure in the PACU.
You can easily and conveniently transfer the cartridge from one warming unit to another.
Warm early to prevent hypothermia later
Maintaining the right patient temperature is important throughout the entire perioperative experience, starting in the pre-op period. Research has shown that warming to nearly core temperature before the induction of anesthesia prevents hypothermia in later stages of the perioperative workflow.1
The enFlow® system in the preoperative environment
Because the enFlow cartridge moves with the patient, you can start warming early—increasing the likelihood of delivering normothermic patients to the OR and PACU.
The system is ideal for pre-op warming because:
- The disposable cartridge attaches in-line to standard IV fluid/blood delivery sets at the start of procedures, removing the need for additional set-up or tubing.
- The system works at the right time, right away—in 18 seconds or less, vs. 10 minutes with other fluid warmers1—which means less waiting.
- The cartridge is easy to place in and remove from the warmer (it cannot be inserted incorrectly), instantly reassuring staff.
- Company data: Fluid warming time using 20 °C fluid to achieve 37 °C at 150 mL/min (testing was performed using a 9" extension set and 20 °C distilled water). Vital Signs, 2009.
Warm on the move
Research has shown that on average, hospitals can save $2,500 to $7,000 per patient by maintaining normothermia during a perioperative visit. It also helps reduce blood transfusions, post-op infections, myocardial infarctions and mortality.1
The enFlow® system in transit
The enFlow system advances mobility and speed in perioperative fluid warming. While moving the patient from pre-op to the OR, you can simply remove the cartridge from the warming unit, allowing the entire IV set to transport with the patient. Once the patient arrives at the next care area, you can insert the cartridge into another warming unit right away, to start heating fluid within seconds.
The enFlow system optimally warms patients on the move because:
- The cartridge can remain in-line, keeping the IV set from exposure to potential infection, whether the fluid is warming or not.
- The warmer can operate in any orientation.
- The warming unit and power source are highly durable, having passed the most robust military testing standards.
Maintain normothermia in the OR
During the first hour of anesthesia, patient core temperatures can decrease 1.6 ± 0.3 °C.1 Additionally, each liter of IV fluid infused into adults at ambient temperature, or each unit of blood infused at 4 °C, decreases the mean body temperature approximately 0.25 °C.2
This drop can have major cost and quality implications for hospitals. Mild hypothermia may cause complications such as shivering and discomfort, surgical site infections, reduced drug metabolism and impaired blood clotting.3
The enFlow® system in the OR
Maintaining the right patient temperature during surgery requires overcoming a number of obstacles: cold IV solutions, fasting before surgery, cold OR environments, extreme age, and major fluid or blood loss.
The system provides ideal OR warming because:
- The warmer fits in the palm of your hand and sits close to the patient, minimizing the distance from the end of the warmer to the patient's IV site.
- Its size is unobtrusive and compatible with infusion pumps or pressure infusers.
- Its low priming volume (< 4mL) and minimal resistance to fluid flow increases control and reduces waste.1
- It is applicable for 98% of patient cases.2
- Company data: Disposable cartridge pressure drop—fluid resistance comparison at 12.4 mmHg.
- Sessler, D., Kurz, A. Mild perioperative hypothermia. Anesthesiology News, September 2007, 1–12.
Deliver warm patients
Inadvertent hypothermia is one of the most common complications for surgical patients who are transferred to the post-anesthesia care unit (PACU).1
It can significantly prolong post-op recovery, with hypothermic patients taking around 40 minutes longer to reach fitness for discharge and about 90 minutes when requiring a core temperature over 36 °C.1 And more time in the PACU can equal more cost.2
The enFlow® system for effective recovery
With the enFlow system, you can confidently help patients maintain the right temperature in the right place at the right time—upon entry to the OR, during transition to the PACU and upon discharge from the PACU.
The system works well in the PACU and beyond because:
- The warmer incorporates a layer that transfers heat effectively, preventing hot spots associated with other dry heat warmers.
- The enFlow cartridge can be used for 24 hours of continuous patient warming.
- The single-patient-use cartridge does not use membranes, which can get clogged when blood is infused.
Our anesthesia delivery devices include innovative airway access devices, general anesthesia consumables, perioperative patient monitoring devices and temperature solutions.Learn more about our anesthesia delivery devices
Our patient monitoring products and accessories support many brands in critical and emergency care, labor and delivery, neonatal intensive care and perioperative patient monitoring.Learn more about our patient monitoring products
About Vital Signs
Our Vital Signs anesthesia delivery, patient monitoring and arterial blood gas products consist of more than 5,000 innovative items that help improve patient safety and reduce the overall cost of care.
Some of our innovations include one of the first non-conductive anesthesia breathing circuits, one of the first LED laryngoscope handle and blade systems, and one of the first single-tube dual lumen breathing circuits.Learn more about Vital Signs products
enFlow™ fluid warming system
The enFlow system automatically and rapidly warms blood, blood products and IV solutions to help you deliver the right temperature to the right place at the right time. Accurately, flexibly and quickly warming fluids, the system helps prevent hypothermia and improve quality of care.Learn more